Signup to receive our newsletter


Follow us on Facebook or Twitter

Congratulatory Messages

From the It’s an Honour Website:

What are anniversary messages? 

Australians celebrating a special birthday or wedding anniversary can receive personal congratulations from the Prime Minister, Governor-General or The Queen.

Who qualifies? 

The Prime Minister will send a message of congratulations to people turning 90 years of age or more. The Queen and Governor-General will send a message on a 100th birthday. On request, the Prime Minister and the Governor-General will write again every year and The Queen will write again every five years.
The Prime Minister and Governor-General send messages to couples celebrating 50 years of marriage and subsequent wedding anniversaries. The Queen sends messages to couples celebrating 60 years of marriage and will write every five years after that on request.
This table below outlines eligibility requirements for Anniversary Messages.
  50th Wedding Anniversary 50th plus Wedding Anniversary  90th Birthday 90th plus Birthday
Prime Minister Yes Yes Yes Yes
Governor-General Yes Yes No 100th and every year thereafter 
The Queen No 60th and every fifth thereafter No 100th and every fifth year thereafter


Note: Messages from The Queen can be arranged for couples or individuals who did not receive a message on their 60th wedding anniversary or on their 100th birthday, as the case may be.

How to arrange the message 

You can arrange an anniversary message through the electorate office of any Federal Member of Parliament or the office of any Senator for your state or territory.
The best place to start is the electorate office of your local federal member. The electorate staff are there to help.
If you are applying for a message on behalf of a relative or friend who lives in another electorate, their local federal member will be notified so they can send a message too.
You will need to provide supporting documentation like birth certificates or marriage certificates. If these are not available you can provide a statutory declaration. Statutory declaration forms are available at any post office.
Where appropriate, your request to the Prime Minister will be passed on to the Governor-General and The Queen so you only have to make one application.
To arrange a message from the State Premier you should contact the office of your local state parliamentarian.

When to arrange the message 

You can make arrangements for anniversary messages up to two months before the celebration.
You can request a belated message up to one month after the birthday or wedding anniversary has passed.
For eligible occasions, requests received within six months after the occasion will be passed to Government House in Canberra for their consideration for a belated message from The Queen.

Where will the message be delivered?

Anniversary messages can be delivered directly to the recipient or to a care-of address for surprises. 

Please enter the 3 letter code you see in the image.